Victories

Resident Insertion of Nasogastric Tube Into Patient’s Brain

An elderly female had a successful surgery at a hospital for a benign pituitary (brain) tumor but developed some pneumonia after surgery. After she was readmitted to the hospital, a resident (i.e. a doctor in training to become a specialist) placed a nasogastric tube (NG) tube that was supposed to go through the nose, inside the food pipe and down into the stomach. It was alleged that immediately afterwards, the patient began having signs of brain problems, and that what had really happened is the resident placed the NG tube not into the stomach but through the nose and into the brain cortex, thus resulting in her death from bleeding. Sam Allen of Clore Law Group, LLC represented the family of the deceased woman and, despite significant limitations on damages under South Carolina law for this type of case, achieved a non-confidential settlement of $1,100,000.

Clore Law Group, LLC is proud of the results our attorneys have achieved, but any prior results achieved on behalf of one client in one matter does not necessarily indicate, and cannot be relied upon to mean, that similar results can be obtained for other clients.

Gym Facility Failed to Apply AED During Cardiac Arrest

A middle-aged husband and father of adult children was playing racquetball with friends at a gym when he became short of breath, collapsed, and became unresponsive. He was having cardiac arrest. One of the friends raced to the front desk and 911 was called. But even though there was an automated external defibrillator (AED) at the front desk, the gym personnel on duty did not know to, or how to, use the AED and so it was never activated;  EMS arrived with and used their own AED, but this was about 11 minutes after the collapse. Due to the long time interval between the cardiac arrest and the time that EMS was able to successfully use their AED to resuscitate the man, he suffered a severe lack of oxygenated blood flow to his brain. He was transported to a nearby hospital, but died from the brain injuries over a month later. Clore Law Group, LLC prosecuted the case against the facility owner and the company that it had hired to train the gym employees on CPR and its AED. Mark Clore and Vernon Glenn prosecuted the case and a substantial settlement was ultimately reached at mediation. Additionally, as part of the settlement the facility owner was required to have its employees retrained on the proper use of the AED.

Clore Law Group, LLC is proud of the results our attorneys have achieved, but any prior results achieved on behalf of one client in one matter does not necessarily indicate, and cannot be relied upon to mean, that similar results can be obtained for other clients.

Alleged Failure to Diagnose and Treat Lung Cancer

Clore Law Group represented a patient whose lung cancer was allegedly misdiagnosed and mistreated, with the result that a substantial delay in diagnosis and treatment occurred.  During this time the cancer grew and spread extensively.  By the time the cancer was ultimately diagnosed and treated, it had unfortunately metastasized to other organs.  As a result of metastasis, the cancer was incurable.  Clore Law Group confidentially resolved the case for the patient.

  • Outcome

Clore Law Group, LLC is proud of the results our attorneys have achieved, but any prior results achieved on behalf of one client in one matter does not necessarily indicate, and cannot be relied upon to mean, that similar results can be obtained for other clients.

Fluid Overload Due to Multiple Failures in Hospital / Death

A middle-aged woman in a hospital for surgery is given far too much IV fluids after surgery based on her condition. As a result of that condition and weakening kidneys, she cannot excrete out the excess IV fluid she received in the hospital.  It was alleged that multiple failures, of doctors and hospital nurses, allowed the continued excess fluid build-up, to the point of fluid overload, which was seen on repeated chest X-rays.  It was also alleged that, despite this problem, appropriate treatments and medications to diurese the patient were not timely provided, resulting in her death.  Mark Clore achieved a confidential settlement for the family.

  • Outcome

Clore Law Group, LLC is proud of the results our attorneys have achieved, but any prior results achieved on behalf of one client in one matter does not necessarily indicate, and cannot be relied upon to mean, that similar results can be obtained for other clients.

Failure to Detect Brain Infection

A middle-aged man present to a hospital emergency department with headache, fever and neurological signs. Radiology imaging of the brain revealed evidence of an early viral infection of the brain that was not timely recognized, nor properly treated with an antiviral medication known as Acyclovir. After the patient was admitted to the hospital, this brain infection worsened due to further medical mistakes, ultimately resulting in the man's severe brain abscess from infection, sepsis and death. Mark Clore was able to reach a confidential settlement for the family.

Clore Law Group, LLC is proud of the results our attorneys have achieved, but any prior results achieved on behalf of one client in one matter does not necessarily indicate, and cannot be relied upon to mean, that similar results can be obtained for other clients.