What To Do Right After a Car WreckMark Clore ·
Being injured in a car wreck is scary. But it's very important to stay calm. The first steps you take after suffering a personal injury in an accident can affect your car insurance reimbursement should you file a claim. Here's how you can best deal with an accident from which you've been injured.
Get Medical Attention
Immediately see a doctor. While you may feel fine or consider your injuries minor, the following symptoms can appear days later:
Seeking immediate medical attention can also strengthen your personal injury claim.
Get the Details
Be sure to take detailed notes regarding your injuries and any medical treatment in order to seek full reimbursement from your insurer. Take down the names and contact details of any of these that your visit:
- Physical therapists
It's also a good idea to keep receipts for prescribed medications or assistive devices including crutches.
Strengthen Your Claim
To strengthen your claim, you should also record:
- Information about the car wreck – take pictures of the location and surrounds
- Photos of damage to the car – take several photos from every angle, both long distance and close up.
- Names and contact numbers of witnesses
- Proof of financial losses such as lost earnings
- Photos of your injuries – these can prove invaluable evidence for your case
What You Shouldn't Do
Never admit fault – while you may feel the need to apologize at the scene or admit fault to the insurer, doing so can jeopardize your claim. Instead, get a police report and give a detailed description of the car wreck complete with photos. Even if you think you are to blame, even partially, don't say so to the other party, witnesses or passengers or even the car insurance company. Rather give an honest report of what happened and leave the rest to the insurance companies.
- Avoid other missteps – even if you are entitled to compensation, a few unnecessary mistakes can jeopardize a personal injury claim.
To ensure you get fair settlement, follow these tips:
- Don't sign any release forms or checks with releases on them before you are happy to completely settle.
- Don't settle until all medical treatment has finished and personal injuries have healed or you won't know the total cost of the injuries from the car wreck.
- Never cave into pressure not to file a police report.
- Don't talk to anyone about the case unless necessary.
Consider Getting An Attorney
If you need help with your personal injury claim after a car wreck, it's a good idea to hire a personal injury lawyer. The team at Clore Law are experienced in dealing with personal injuries and will help you to understand your rights. They'll assist with getting the highest amount possible for your claim too. Should a dispute about your claim arise, a lawyer can be a valuable asset should it lead to mediation or even court. Call Clore Law today at 843-722-8070.[/fusion_text]
Clore Law Group welcomes your questions about any issues concerning a serious personal injury, car accident, medical malpractice, nursing home neglect, business tort, or workplace injury. If you have a viable claim, we’ll explain the legal process. Since consultations are always free, there’s no cost in learning your legal options.