Only Three-in-Seven SUVs Hold Up Well in Charleston Auto AccidentsMark Clore ·
The Insurance Institute for Highways Safety (IIHS) has just run another round of trials. The agency is an independent firm which was established more than 50 years ago with the mission of reducing fatalities and other losses on the road. This time, their goal was to see which 2015 model-year SUVs are safest in the event of an auto accident. Concerningly, only three of the seven SUVs tested this year performed well. Best Mid-Size SUVs to Drive For these ratings, IIHS ran a "small overlap test," in which the SUVs were observed during a controlled auto accident. Researchers set the vehicles on a track traveling at 40mph directly into a pillar which overlapped with the driver-side headlamp, or which covered roughly 25% of the vehicle's front end. Damage to the overall structure, how well the safety restraints performed, and injuries to the crash test dummies were noted. Each SUV received a rating of Good, Acceptable, Marginal, or Poor for each category, and was then assigned an overall grade using the same scale. The three that performed the best were:
- Nissan Murano, which earned a rating of Good, and also received IIHS' highest award, the TOP SAFETY PICK+.
- Jeep Wrangler (4-door), which earned a Good
- Ford Flex, which earned an Acceptable
- Dodge Journey, which was the worst-performing SUV, and was also the only one to earn a rating of Poor.
- Dodge Durango, which was rated as Marginal.
- Hyundai Santa Fe, which earned a Marginal
- Jeep Cherokee, Which also earned a rating of Marginal.
- Chevrolet Equinox (2015 model)
- GMC Terrain (2015 model)
- Kia Sorento (2016 model)
- Nissan Pathfinder (2015 model)
- Toyota Highlander (2015 model)
Charleston Auto Accident AttorneyUnfortunately, there isn't a vehicle on the market yet which can protect everyone inside under any circumstances. Victims of collisions often wind up with mounting medical bills and lost wages, among other things, as a result of the crash. If you've been injured in a collision that was not your fault, you may be entitled to compensation to help with these things. For a no-obligation consultation, please contact us using our online form or speak directly to one of our attorneys now by calling 1(800)610-2546.
Clore Law Group welcomes your questions about any issues concerning a serious personal injury, car accident, medical malpractice, nursing home neglect, business tort, or workplace injury. If you have a viable claim, we’ll explain the legal process. Since consultations are always free, there’s no cost in learning your legal options.